Home
Aurora ST / Recife-PE

Lúcia Gaspar
Joaquim Nabuco Foundation Librarian
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
 
Situated on the left bank of the Capibaribe River, in the Boa Vista neighbourhood, it used to be a swamp owned by businessman Casimiro Antônio Medeiros, the first to build on those lands and defeat the water-logged left bank of the Capibaribe.

 The area was reclaimed and, in 1806, ‘Rua da Aurora’ (literally: ‘Dawn St’) was born. It was given the name Visconde do Rio Branco St, but the name it was known by was ‘cais da Aurora’ (Aurora Quay) or rua da Aurora.

It was called so because it runs towards the east and is first to receive the sun’s rays (dawn).

It begins at Imperatriz St and runs until Norte Ave in the Santo Amaro neighbourhood. At number 31, for many years, was the famous Gemba ice-cream parlour. On the corner with Conde da Boa Vista Ave is the Duarte Coelho building, where the São Luiz cinema operates, one of the most traditional in the city.

Until 1936, the Clube Internacional do Recife (Recife International Club) was located in building number 265 on Aurora St, as well as the rowing garage of the Clube Náutico Capibaribe (Capibaribe Nautical Club) (number 1,193) and the Clube Esportivo Almirante Barroso (Admiral Barroso Sporting Club) (number 1,225).

The Fábrica Progresso (Progress Factory), formerly called Fábrica Aurora (Aurora Factory), which manufactured nails and spray bottles, among other things, was founded in 1879 and was located at the end of the street, at the foot of the Limoeiro Bridge.

Nearby lived well-known Pernambuco families. There were several neo-classical buildings, including the building of the Secretaria de Segurança Pública (Secretary of Public Security), the former residence of the Pernambuco Provincial President Francisco do Rego Barros, the Count of Boa Vista, that of the Legislative Assembly of the State of Pernambuco, which since 1948, through the recommendation of Representative Tabosa de Almeida, has the name Palácio Joaquim Nabuco (Joaquim Nabuco Palace) and the Ginásio Pernambucano.

Recife, 11 July 2003.
(Updated on 31 August 2009).

Translated by Peter Leamy, January 2012.

SOURCES CONSULTED:

FRANCA, Rubem. Monumentos do Recife. Recife: Governo de Pernambuco. SEC, 1977. p.137-147.

MONTENEGRO, Olívio. Memórias do Ginásio Pernambucano. Recife: Assembléia Legislativa de Pernambuco, 1979.

HOW TO CITE THIS TEXT:

Fonte: GASPAR, Lúcia. Aurora ST / Recife-PE. Pesquisa Escolar Online, Joaquim Nabuco Foudation, Recife. Available at:  <http://basilio.fundaj.gov.br/pesquisaescolar/>. Accessed: day month year. Exemple: 6 Aug. 2009.

 

Search "Keyword"

Search "A to Z"


Languages

Pt_flagEs_flag

Fundaj Services

Counter Hits

mod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_countermod_vvisit_counter
Copyright © 2017 :: Fundação Joaquim Nabuco - MEC. All Rights Reserved. Desenvolvido pela Fundação Joaquim Nabuco