Limoeiro Bridge, Recife

Virgínia Barbosa 
Joaquim Nabuco Foundation Librarian
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Over the Beberibe River, the Limoeiro Bridge unites the neighbourhood of Brum with Santo Amaro, and Cais do Apolo St with Norte Ave.
The first bridge erected at the site was metal, having only tracks on sleepers. There was no walkway for pedestrians. It was built in 1881 to allow trains to pass from a railway, known as the ‘linha norte do Estado’ (northern State line), built by Great Western, which went to the town of Limoeiro.  The Provincial Government, from 1868, predicted a large profit in the rail transportation of sugar between Recife and the town of Limoeiro, as on the projected route there were many plantations and cattle farms.

It was replaced by another, built in concrete by the Christian Nielsen Company, and opened on 30 July 1966 by Senator Pessoa de Queiroz, during the mayoralty of Augusto Lucena.
Recife, 16 December 2005.
(Updated on 14 September 2009).

Translated by Peter Leamy, January 2012.


CAVALCANTI, Carlos Bezerra. O Recife e seus bairros. Recife: Câmara Municipal, 1998. 166 p. il.

FRANCA, Rubem. Monumentos do Recife. Recife: Secretaria de Educação e Cultura do Estado de Pernambuco, 1977. 382 p.

GONÇALVES, Fernando Antônio. O Capibaribe e as Pontes: dos ontens bravios aos futuros já chegados. Recife: Comunigraf, 1997. 86 p.

MELLO, Virgínia Pernambucano de. As pontes do Recife. Recife: Água Marinha Mídia Educacional, 2003. [CD-ROM]. Patrocínio de NC Energia-Grupo Neoenergia.


Source: BARBOSA, Virgínia. Limoeiro Bridge, Recife. Pesquisa Escolar Online, Joaquim Nabuco Foudation, Recife. Available at:  <http://basilio.fundaj.gov.br/pesquisaescolar/>. Accessed: day month year. Exemple: 6 Aug. 2009



Search "Keyword"

Search "A to Z"



Fundaj Services

Counter Hits

Copyright © 2023 :: Fundação Joaquim Nabuco - MEC. All Rights Reserved. Desenvolvido pela Fundação Joaquim Nabuco